Welcome to Chef’s Corner, the first in our series of recipe blogs from Reading SOUP, helping you to make our favourite soup bowls in your kitchen. This month it’s Chef Zoe’s lightly spicy Moroccan Chickpea Soup recipe from our March 2017 event. It’s completely vegan, gluten-free and really simple to make, plus it went down a storm with our Soup-ers!
Follow the recipe below to make the soup for yourself at home. At our event, we skipped the kale, but feel free to add as much as you like to yours to taste.
Moroccan Chickpea Soup Recipe
Total cooking time 20 mins
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 white onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed or minced
1 litre vegetable stock
2 tins chickpeas
1 tin chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato puree
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
A pinch of crushed red chilli flakes, to taste (optional)
Salt and black pepper, to taste
250g kale or baby spinach leaves, roughly-chopped
Fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Add in the chopped onion and carrot and brown for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft.
- Add in the garlic cloves, stirring occasionally for 1 minute.
- Pour in vegetable stock, followed by chickpeas, tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, cinnamon, and chilli flakes. Leave to simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and stir in the chopped kale. Continue simmering for 3 minutes until the kale is softened,but not floppy.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a sprig of fresh coriander. We served ours with strips of grilled pitta bread and crunchy wholemeal croutons.
Did you enjoy this soup at our March event? Will you try this recipe at home? If so, let us know! We’d love to hear from you in the comments below, or see your photos on Twitter, #RDGSoup.