This May we decided to let you, our fabulous SOUP-ers choose the soup you wanted to try with our first ever poll. The winner was Sweetcorn Chowder – chef Zoe’s comforting chunky corn recipe. Packed with vegetables, this recipe is made without milk, so it’s vegan friendly too.
Use Zoe’s easy step-by-step recipe below and get chowing down on creamy vegan sweetcorn chowder at home. And don’t forget to share photos of your version with #RDGsoup!
Vegan Sweetcorn Chowder Recipe
Cook time: 40 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tins of sweetcorn
- 1 tsp Cyder vinegar
- Salt/pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Fry the chopped onion, red pepper and celery for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the potato and mix well. Coat all the ingredients in flour and stir.
- Simmer for two minutes and then pour in the vegetable stock.
- Sprinkle in parsley, celery salt and paprika. Stir and turn up the heat to bring to boiling.
- Reduce to a low heat, add a lid to the pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the sweetcorn and cook for 5-10 minutes, until corn is cooked.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. If you’re looking for a less thick soup, or want it to go further, only blend half the soup, and leave the other half in the pan. Pour back into the pot and stir well.
- Stir in Cyder vinegar and salt/pepper to season.
- Serve topped with coriander and sliced spring onions.
Did you enjoy Zoe’s Sweetcorn Chowder? Will you try cooking it at home? Let us know in the comments or on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram with #RDGsoup!